I've been struggling with waking up in the morning for years and stumbled upon a blog post that addresses this problem nicely. http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2007/10/how-to-wake-up-feeling-totally-alert/
In summary, these are the principle described.
1. Fix your diet. - cut out caffeine and sugar and processed foods as best you can.
2. Eat lightly at night - eat fruit and veggies before bed instead of a big dinner.
3. Exercise daily - run about the block for 20-30 min
4. Get up at the same time every day, including weekends.
5. Go to bed only when you’re sleepy.
6. Develop a pleasant morning routine - planning to exercise daily and eat a nice breakfast will modivate you to get out of bed.
7. Make it so! - experiment with any of these ideas, and see what works best for you.
Hopefully, with some work, I will be able to reduce my amount of sleep so I can be more productive.